Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Haiti Journal Entry #4

Thursday 04/08/10

I can't get enough of this view from the balcony. I find myself just staring and collecting my thoughts for minutes at a time. The people here probably think I'm a weird daydreamer as I just sit and stare off at the beautiful countryside. It is truly breathtaking. It makes me want to get up in the morning to witness it again. Even amid all the destruction there is a great peace here.

(click on pic to enlarge)

Last night around 1ish (am), there was another earthquake. The epicenter was located off the coast in the ocean so the effects on the country were limited. Some of us did not even wake up when it happend.

Tomorrow is the last day at the clinic. I wonder if the people of Gramothe and those of nearby villages are aware that tomorrow is our last day. I'm assuming tomorrow will be the busiest day yet with people trying to come and be checked out before we leave.

I want to write down this story of a man we saw and treated today at the clinic. I want to remember it because it has summed up my experience with the people of Haiti. We treated this patient today for a severe ankle injury. It occurred when he had fallen at home. The ankle was swollen enough that you could not see his ankle bones. He hobbled into the clinic wearing flip flop sandals on his beaten feet. When we looked at his ankle we noticed his "good" foot was deformed. He said it was a birth defect and his foot never grew to its maximum size.

(click on pic to enlarge)

This birth defect had also deformed his left arm as it was skinnier and he was unable to extend it straight out. He winced in pain when the nurse and doctor checked the injury on his ankle. The man had walked up the mountain with flip flops and no cane/crutch, a terribly sprained or broken ankle, a deformed "good" foot, waited in line for hours, and still never raised his voice or berated us for not being treated sooner. With our limited supplies the most we could do was wrap the ankle, prescribe some tylenol for pain, and tell him he needed to go to the hospital for x-rays to check for broken bones. We were able to supply him with a crutch to help him walk out of the clinic. He smiled at us, shook our hands, and thanked us for helping him. He hobbled out of the clinic to make his way back down the mountain. I will never forget that. We were not able to do 1/4 of what we can for people here in the States for this man, but he thanked us as if we had just saved his life. That sincereity he displayed towards us is something I hope I will always remember. Being gracious and grateful for any form of help, no matter how small, is a lesson that the people here have taught me every single day. The country of Haiti has blessed me more than I can explain.

Bondje beni ou(God bless you in Haitian Creole)


I will try to steal some pics from people to show "the view" I got to see everyday and the patients ankle injury. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Matt, I'm glad you are still posting things from Haiti. I remember that guy. I didn't realize his ankle was so badly injured when I asked him to stand on the scale. I thought he was going to fall over when he tried to step onto the scale, and I felt like a jerk for making him do it. I'm glad we were able to give him a crutch, and I pray that he's able to get to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete