Sunday, April 25, 2010

Haiti Journal Entry #5

Friday 04/09/10

I slept the fewest hours so far last night, however, it was my own fault. I had started reading Simple Genius by David Baldacci at the beginning of the week and I got to the point in my reading last night where I decided I was going to finish the book. It was a good book and Baldacci is one of my favorite authors.

Vendors came to the house this morning before we left for the clinic. It was nice to have them come to us to display their items. Haitian currency is called "gourdes" and the exchange rate we got was around $1=40 gourdes. I purchased three paintings that I'm very excited about. My favorite piece extends horizontally, like a streched out rectangle, and depicts a farm village in Haiti. I love it and can't wait for it to be framed.

Today was a good day at the clinic. Everyone seems to be in a rhythm now and things are moving well. I met a new translator today by the name of Kervans. I do not know his background or how he came about to the clinic but he was an interesting young man. I've heard others use the word "hustler" and "con artist" to describe the kid but we got along pretty well. He seems to be very "street smart", I just hope he continues to use his wit in a positive matter and not to take advantage of people. He worked at the clinic on Thursday, but I didn't have the chance to speak with him much. When he worked with us today he noticed ny nametag said "Dr. Mantoots" and asked me why today my name was Mantoots but yesterday it was Dr. Turk. I explained to him that it was a joke and I was just playing around and that I didn't take myself too seriously. Kervans looked at me and called me a "jerker" which I later deciphered to be "joker" instead. He was translating for us when we treatd a young girl around his age. Next thing I know, he is asking to use my pen and he writes down the girls phone number! Doug (RN)and I gave him a hard time after that asking if he was planning on "picking up" any more girls while he worked today. He kept saying "why you mock me?" and I was afraid he didn't realize our sense of humor. Not wanting to offend him, I explained to him how we were just kidding and giving him a hard time. He told us later that the girl was a relative and he was getting her number to contact her later. Still not certain whether to believe that or not.

My dad and I made the journey down and then up the mountain again today. It was getting easier for us but still a challenge. Caitlin walked with us everytime and I don't think she broke a sweat on any of the days. At one point I asked my dad how he was doing and he said "I just got passed by a five year old with a bucket of water on their head....I'm doing awesome." I told Caitlin, as I struggled up the goat trail, to never get old and get out of shape. She said "I won't" as she skipped up the trail wearing her crocs. I know that 26 almost 27 is not that old, but it sure felt like it.

I decided today, while writing this actually, that I want to come back. I'd like to make it an annual trip. I think it's good for my soul. It's a great time to reflect and put my life in check. I love the people here and the peace around this place. There is a wonderful energy that I think everyone can feel while you are here. You feel blessed being able to share this experience with so many wonderful people.

I've always loved the lyric "I know I'm good for something, I just haven't found it yet" and I feel like this trip could be God's way of pointing me in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment